Orthodox America


  The Cry of the New Martyrs -  Church Restored as Concert Hall


      The Church of St. Alexander Nevsky in Gorky has been painstakingly restored by specialists for use as a concert hall. Trud (March 10) reports that the church was the third largest in Russia, superseded only by the Church of Christ the Saviour in Moscow which was blown up in 1937, and St. Isaac's in Leningrad which is now a museum. The church was consecrated in 1881, and closed in 1925. It was then used as a warehouse. Restoration work has been going on at the church for the past three years. Gorky, a city with a population of 1,350,00, has only three Orthodox churches, two of which are situated on the outskirts of the city. Orthodox believers in the city have been campaigning for years to have a church returned to them.                     (KNS 6/8/89)

[OA/_private/oabot.htm]